Marveille lettuceMarveille lettuce
Fall-planted claytoniaFall-planted claytonia
Sweet potatoes, butternut squash and garlicSweet potatoes, butternut squash and garlic
  • Marveille lettuce
  • Fall-planted claytonia
  • Sweet potatoes, butternut squash and garlic

The spring vegetables are starting to roll in. The first of the Lacinato kale is ready to harvest, and I suspect some Swiss chard, escarole and more lettuce will be ready by the end of the week. Although I’m a bit afraid of the long-term consequences of having no winter, I’m thankful for the early start it’s provided.

We have some major financial goals this year, so I am doing my best to keep our food costs down and rely heavily on what we already have. All the foods I canned last summer are now gone, as is the glut of tomatoes and other foods I froze last year. As I prepared to meal plan for this week, I remembered that we still had some storage vegetables waiting in the basement.

So at the same time that our diet is now starting to rely heavily on spring greens, this week we’ll also be enjoying sweet potatoes and butternut squash. My goal this week is to have a meal with a major homegrown ingredient each day.

What local foods are you enjoying this week?

6 Responses to “When spring and fall vegetables collide”

1. pattyskypants
    30 April 2012 at 7:08 pm #

I found a bag of sunchokes in the veggie bin of the fridge. Believe it or not, they are sprouting and will be planted soon as the ground dries a little. Also fund a lone turnip that, by now, was internally hollow. Cut off the top and planted it. Yes, it is growing and providing greens for stir-fry. Other than that, I have been using fresh oregano, thyme and sage and even put a few rose petals in our salads this week.

2. CoMo Homestead
    1 May 2012 at 8:26 am #

Wow, sunchokes! Did you grow them yourself or buy them from someone? I keep thinking about growing them, but need to find a spot or a large enough container where they won’t be invasive.

3. Eric Reuter
    1 May 2012 at 9:25 am #

This a great question, and one we’ve been experiencing. We put up tons of food last year, partly because our market sales were so low, and we’re still largely eating on our preserved produce, fruit, meat, and more. I don’t think we’ve made a meaningful grocery purchase since the New Year began (outside an occasional bottle of juice or something like that).

We’ve actually had to make an effort to cook more with fresh stuff to test and share recipes with our CSA members, as we’ve otherwise been focusing on drawing down our stocks. We’re right about the end of the sweet potatoes, peas, corn, tomatoes, okra, garlic, onions, and so on. Still have lots of cuke & beet pickles, relishes, jams, and dried peppers. Having more on-farm meats preserved than ever before helped, too, as we’ve been able to balance our produce preserves with more home-made/cured ham, sausage, bacon, and so on, of which we still have plenty left to get us through summer.

Regarding sunchokes, we grow them but have found they produce significant flatulence, and so have been reluctant to sell/distribute them. Anyone else found that? We’re thinking of planting them as pig food instead.

4. CoMo Homestead
    1 May 2012 at 10:10 am #

Eric – I can only imagine what being around a flatulent pig would be like!

5. Eric Reuter
    1 May 2012 at 11:09 am #

Heh, yeah, at least they’re in the open air here. And perhaps they don’t react the same way in swine as in humans (though the two are awfully similar). Sunchokes are certainly a commonly-cited swine food since they’re a great rooting crop for the hogs to dig up on their own.

6. chris
    14 May 2012 at 6:45 am #

Eric,
    The wife and I had the same problem with sunchokes when we tried them for the first time last year. They were good, but they were not that good. Not an item on my grocery list ever again.