The numbers are in!
And the total is…..
This is really exciting to me. Last year’s total was 112 pounds, so we more than doubled our production this year compared to last. Doubling our production was one of my goals for 2011, so WHOHOO! We made it!
Our biggest yielding crops were:
These seven foods accounted for 83% of our production.
Based on a fairly rough estimate using USDA values of organic retail prices, I estimate that our total yield was worth about $600. We’ve put more than that into the garden over the last couple years, so it’s nice to start to see some return on investment. If you want the rest of the nitty gritty, you can see my spreadsheet here. Yes, I have a spreadsheet.
We don’t plan to put in more garden beds this year (because of our bigger goal of paying off our house!), so instead of focusing on increasing space I’m going to focus on increasing efficiency within our existing space. We made huge headway this year compared to last, but there were still quite a few cases of frustrating inefficiencies. Example: the huge space I dedicated to growing brassicas, and then the broccoli and cauliflower got totally wiped out by cabbage worms. So much space taken up for so long, and then NOTHING. No production. Zip. I chopped those suckers down and tossed them on the compost heap. Ugh. Waste. So this year I’m going to try to make sure that there is always something growing and producing, and as soon as one thing comes out, another goes in.
Speaking of which, it’s about time to get busy starting seeds.