This was fun. You should totally do it.
- I made vegetarian Philadelphia roll-style sushi with cream cheese, avocado and carrot strips. It was based loosely on this recipe but with different fillings. The rice was enough for about 6 full sushi rolls.
- I used long grain brown rice. Sushi heresy, I know. But I don’t really believe in white rice, plus we just happen to have a housecat’s weight in locally grown long grain brown rice sitting in our freezer. So I wasn’t really interested in buying more rice. Call it Interesting Stuff Wrapped in Seaweed if you must.
- Wasabi will burn your nosehairs off. Careful.
- I didn’t have a rice cooker, so I just cooked the rice in a pot like normal. Worked out just fine. I realize it might not have been so fine if I’d tried to put the rice on the outside of the nori, but I purposely put it on the inside to make it easier.
- I also didn’t have a bamboo mat for rolling the sushi, so instead I layered two clean, relatively thick dishcloths on top of each other and used them in the wrapping process. Worked out just fine.
- I made five rolls and we split them between two people. The portions were on the light side, so next time I’d make six or seven.
- You should totally do it.