After we pulled the garlic up over Memorial Day weekend, we dried it for two weeks on our covered front porch.
Three of the smaller bulbs spent too much time in the ground and split during the drying process. They were still fine to use, but obviously they wouldn’t store well so I used them up first. They seemed to have a much milder flavour compared to the properly cured bulbs, but it may also have been because they were smaller.
I ended up with 19 usable bulbs, two of which I gave away to our neighbour in the spirit of the 10th Element of Urban Homesteading. That left 17 for us. I’m curious to see how long it takes us to rip through our homegrown garlic. We were using a ton of garlic during the winter when I was making hearty winter meals more often, but now that it’s summer I seem to be using less.
The bulbs are being stored in a room in our basement that I call our root cellar – although right now it’s not much more than a room separated from the rest of the basement by a wall of wooden planks. In the fall I hope to turn the room into a true root cellar so we can provide a good storage environment for our fall harvest.