Skeletonized grape leafSkeletonized grape leaf

Several weeks ago I noticed Japanese beetles on our grape vine (thanks @Tim for identifying them for me). I didn’t think much of them, so I didn’t worry about dealing with them.

Unfortunately the grape vines have paid the price. Now that I’ve seen that they can do some serious damage, I’m doing my best to get rid of them. Since we only have three vines, it is fairly easy to pick the beetles off individually and kill them.

Japanese beetles attract more Japanese beetles, so it really does seem to work to just pick them off and get rid of them. Since I’ve started picking them off, we’ve had substantially fewer beetles returning. The day I counted 17 beetles on one vine was the day I realized I needed to do something about them. I last checked the vine yesterday and there were no beetles to be found. I think it works!

Comments are closed.